Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Calming Glitter Jar


I am always looking for ways to get my kids to calm down when they are out of control or frustrated.  Sometimes my son gets so worked up and upset he screams and cries and thrashes about. (He's 6 and currently being evaluated for ADHD). This glitter jar is a way for him to focus on something else and calm himself down for 5 minutes. A calming, "mind jar". I found this on Pinterest and looked into it. One of the many uses is for "processing" kids! To help them focus on something calming for 5 minutes. It also works as a fun timer for kids for just about anything! Brushing teeth, reading time, homework, etc.......

Details:
                  Super easy!! Not too expensive. You might have a lot of this on hand already!

Materials:
           


            Walmart:  Glitter jar, color of your choice . About $5
                                   Glitter Glue, color of your choice. About $3
                                   Mason Jar. I bought a 12 pack for $6.99 on sale
                                   Corn Syrup amount depends on how thick and slow you want it to settle
                                   about $6.99
                                   Food coloring of your choice, a couple of drops
                                   Warm water

Directions:
                            
                       1. I mixed 1 tablespoon of glitter-glue with about 1 cup of hot water, stir until the glue
                           "melts" and mixes. I also added more water to fill the jar once the glue melted.
                       2. Add food coloring and a tiny tub of glitter. The amounts depend on how you want it
                           to look.
                       3. In the original post I got this from, that's all they did. But I found that the glitter
                           settled really quick. Not enough time to focus and gather thoughts. So I added
                          corn syrup, 1 tbl at a time until it was the "thickness" I wanted.
        * you can add glitter and coloring as you want. I just kept mixing and adding until I liked it.*

Likes:
           My kids have really responded to it!! At first when they are upset and I suggest the glitter jar and tell them they can't get up until it's clear, they yell "NO!" but once I shake it and place it somewhere close to them, where they can see it, they stare and calm down quickly.

Dislikes/ Changes:
           I should probably glue the lid on. One day these kids are going to figure it out! Also a smaller jar would work or a plastic jar (empty mayo jar maybe). I know one of them is going to throw it out of anger!!

The original inspiration:

     What I made:


Let me know what you think! Post your ideas, comments, projects!

1 comment:

  1. Doing this with my grandchildren this weekend. We are using empty plastic jars (peanut butter jars) so if it gets thrown......well you know!

    ReplyDelete